Monday, February 11, 2013

Keeping up with your New Year’s Resolutions? Last month we gave you a list of goals to try each month. February’s goal is to Take up an Outdoor Hobby. Need any ideas? How about beekeeping! Hear from Marge Trocki, Interpretive Naturalist about how she got started with bees:


Marge with her bees
Five years ago I wanted to know what beekeeping was all about, so I took a Beekeeping course. It inspired me right off the bat to start one hive in my backyard. I had a blast taking care of my thousands of little pets, and meeting some very interesting beekeepers. My plan was to start one more hive the next year, but instead ended up with five. Long story short, I had 36 hives going into my fourth year of beekeeping. I like to refer to it as a hobby gone wild! I would recommend starting with one hive and see where it takes you. I have had opportunity to mentor many new beekeepers in their newfound hobby. Some are very content to maintain a hive or two in their backyard, and some go wild and can’t seem to have enough hives.

What other kind of hobby can get you outdoors, challenge your mind, contribute to the ecosystem, and reap sweet rewards (honey!) for friends and family? See what beekeeping is all about and attend the beekeeping workshop I will be teaching here at Lyman Woods on March 2nd.  Learn about the fascinating honeybee and what it takes to get started in the fun “hobbee” of beekeeping!


Interested in learning all about beekeeping from Marge? Click here to register for the Beginner Beekeeping Workshop on March 2nd.


No comments:

Post a Comment